The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Is it worth it to you?

Seth Sinclair, Staff Reporter

For those students wishing to go beyond the academic standards of high school, Advanced Placement (AP) classes give them that chance. These rigorous courses offer a sneak peek at what college classes are like. AP classes are not for every student. They are academically advanced compared to regular and honors classes. Additionally, they can add an extra layer of stress to students’ already hectic schedules. For high school students interested in attending college, the question becomes whether they should enroll in AP classes in high school or just wait until college to take those classes.

Taking an AP class in high school prepares prospective college-bound students for college-level classes. This helps students narrow down their choices of college classes they are interested in and what classes they would like or dislike. Another constructive point of taking an AP class is that it definitely looks good on college applications. When a high school student successfully completes and passes an AP-level class, it impresses college admissions officers, giving students an edge in the competition for acceptance. Likewise, AP classes count toward college credit. This means that if students take AP classes in high school, they won’t have to take those classes in college (if the institute accepts the AP credit, of course).

However, cons always accompany pros. Such is the case of taking AP classes in high school. AP classes are stressful. Not only are they stressful, they can be overwhelming. Furthermore, as mentioned briefly before, not all colleges and universities will accept credit from AP classes. So, sure, those AP classes may have helped to prepare one for college-level classes, but they won’t count for college credit. Also, AP classes tend to center around taking the AP exam at the end of the year. This translates to less time absorbing, comprehending, and analyzing information and more time just getting ready for the final exam.
Offering a glance at college academics, AP classes are just the opportunity for ambitious high school students. However, AP classes are not for everyone, and they do not give the full image of college life.