The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

“Taste of Tri-City” Open House displays the best the school has to offer

Hannah Cote, Staff Reporter

The annual Open House is an opportunity for students, parents, and teachers alike to see the progress and accomplishments the students have made this far into the year. March 30 was a night that included performances from the upcoming Wizard of Oz production and the ASL, guitar, and choir classes, along with food vendors: Valerie’s Taco Shop, Pizza on Tap, Big Jim’s 356 Grill, Ohana Cupcakes, and Dippin’ Dots.

Despite the amazing performances and delicious food, the heart of Open House lies with the teachers who make the learning possible. Some of the school’s teachers have been here for numerous years, and while the stress and frustration of being a teacher can be overwhelming, most teachers do what they do to invest in their students’ lives.

“I have been in the school system for eighteen years, thirteen of which have been spent at Tri-City,” physical science and forensics teacher Kevin Colpean said. “When I was a cop working in schools in Virginia, teachers kept telling me I should teach. I feel that God led me here to teach, and I love the interaction with the students.”

Some teachers found that God was calling them to a different path than the one they had previously thought.  Still, they have responded to this calling and find different ways to glorify Him.

“When I came out of college, I thought I wanted to go into medicine,” biology and life science teacher Kamille Paddie said. “But after working as an E.M.T., I realized that I didn’t want to work with people in that way. I enjoyed teaching more than I did working in a hospital. That’s when God led me to teaching and TCCS.  Though this is only my second year of teaching, I love working with the students and teaching about how God designed our bodies and the world.”

Open House proved to be a successful event. Parents got to see what their children have been learning, and teachers got to meet the parents of their students. Dozens of parents, students, and teachers are already excited for next year’s.