The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Be our guest and indulge in Disney’s new Beauty and the Beast

Gretchen Ferguson, Backpage Editor

In the age of reboots and remakes, Disney has hopped onto the trend with their new live action Beauty and the Beast. The light-hearted animation from the 1990’s will always be unparalleled; however, the new live action version might just be the new classic. Even though nothing can beat the perfect nostalgia of the original, the revised outlook on characters and new versions of old songs were spectacularly executed.

With Emma Watson playing the iconic Belle, she satisfies all lovers of the classics with her reinvention of the character. This new version better developed Belle’s character by giving her more independence and making her smarter. She takes up the role of inventor as she creates her own washing machine and is constantly sketching out new ideas. As Emma Watson is a big feminist off screen, it was refreshing to see her bring her own ideologies to strengthen her on-screen character.

Not only does the reinvention of Belle make the film refreshing, so does the controversial decision to make Lefou gay. Josh Gad plays Gaston’s lovable best friend who has a small hint of unrequited love. His emotions toward Gaston are never directly stated but his mannerisms make every scene he is in a tad funnier. He is constantly trying to help out his friend and be noticed but falls flat every time. The film does a good job by indirectly stating his sexuality without focusing on it or making it a major plot point. They turned this static, dopey character into one with actual motives and impeccable comedic timing. Both decisions to reinvent these characters gave them actual motives and character development which made the movie even better. Not only does the new takes on old characters help push the plot along, so does the star-studded cast. Some impressive names lining the credits include Ian McKellen as Cogsworth, Emma Thompson as Mrs. Potts, and Ewan McGregor as Lumiere.

Although the songs throughout the film had some noticeable autotune, they were still enjoyable. The new versions of the songs brought some new and original twists to move the plot along. Belle’s angry complaints about Gaston in “Belle (Reprise),” Lefou’s admiration in “Gaston,” and the Beast’s depressed cries for Belle in “Evermore” are just some of the songs that are filled with so much emotion it is difficult not to be invested in the plot. The new takes on classic songs will have you dancing in your seat and will leave you humming “Be Our Guest” for hours after the movie has concluded.

As such an iconic story, it seems impossible to be able to do it in such a new and exciting way, but the revamped Beauty and the Beast achieves just that. If you are looking for a fun movie to go see with the whole family, you have found the right one. It satisfies lovers of all genres. It’s romance, drama, musical genius, and action do not compete with each other, making it a great experience for everyone. It presents an amazing example for young girls that you can be beautiful and smart as well as a lesson to all that beauty comes from within. Its moralistic storyline presents a life lesson for all ages to learn from and is a fun adventure to take yourself on.