The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Major funds raised: Auction was a success

Gretchen Ferguson, Backpage Editor

The 27th annual auction was held last Saturday and packed shoulder-to-shoulder. Parents in attendance were treated to a special night, bidding on exciting items while being served by both students and teachers.

The event was not only filled with familiar faces, but many first-timers as well. The auction was open to all members of the school’s community to help raise money.

We’ve always wanted to come, and it’s our first year,” Norika Mihlik said. “We’re really excited to be here. It has exceeded my expectations being a beautifully decorated and wonderful event.”

For many first-timers, the night surpassed all preconceived notions of what it would hold. The auction was blessed to have new high school principal Rod King and his wife engaged in the festivities.

“My wife and I had an amazing time,” King said. “We tried to win the ‘Taste of Carlsbad’ and ‘Pedals and Pasta’ but we unfortunately got outbid. Besides that, we have enjoyed all the food and people.”

The auction not only satisfied the school’s future goals, but parents got what they came for. Many people felt overjoyed that they were helping to secure a future for their children’s Christian education.

“I have one in kindergarten, and I want to be able to keep her options open for good Christian schools,” Jessica Woods said. “I want to be able to know that she will be able to attend Tri-City for thirteen more years.”

Students gave up their Saturday night for an opportunity to serve. They carried large platters of hors d’oeuvres, set tables, and ensured the event ran smoothly.

“It’s been really fulfilling serving,” Matt Schuiteman (‘18) said. “I enjoy talking to people, and it’s been really fun just being with all my friends serving everyone and gaining a chance to really make a difference for the attendees.”

Not only did students help out, but teachers did as well. The auction gave them a unique opportunity to serve the parents of the children they spend five days a week with.

“I was asked to help out and, since I couldn’t last year, I wanted to give my time this year,” history teacher Tonya Rauch said. “It’s been a great time, I’ve never been a server before, but it’s been a great experience and an amazing time.”

As the night progressed, the funds continued to be raised, and happy cheers were heard throughout the gym in celebration of the school.

“Here’s to Tri-City, where our kids get a great education and become good human beings,” Jeff Underdahl said. “Isn’t that why we come here?”

The night ended with an emotional tribute to late board member Bruce Zimmerman, whose legacy will be felt for years and years to come. The beautiful remembrance of his life and his love for Tri-City honoured his eight years of service as both a parent and an important member of the community.

“It was really moving,” computer teacher Cyndi Ferguson said. “It touched on how much of what a success Tri-City has become because of him and his vision.”

With the auction being an event that drew all members of the school together, the night was a success, raising over $120,000. From all the money raised, the school plans on putting it all toward classroom technology.