The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Predictions for The Last Jedi

Predictions for the next installment of the Star Wars trilogy that don't include Kylo Ren

By User: Wiki Erudito [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Seth Sinclair, Staff Reporter

Star Wars fans around the world impatiently await the release of Episode 8: The Last Jedi. Picking up literally seconds where Episode 7 left off, The Last Jedi delves into the universe and mythos created by The Force Awakens and the subsequent trilogy. A spoiler alert is due if you have not seen The Force Awakens.

At the end of Episode 7, the Resistance successfully destroyed the First Order’s superweapon, Starkiller Base; and Rey located Grand Master Luke Skywalker. Though the Resistance completed their mission, the First Order is still a powerful force to be reckoned with. In its test run, Starkiller Base eradicated several New Republic planets, tumbling the galaxy into chaos. The final scene, with Rey handing the lightsaber Luke lost from his duel with Darth Vader on Cloud City, left audiences with many more questions than conclusions.

Episode 8 will follow the further adventures of the Resistance and the mentorship of Luke to Rey. The First Order is no longer concealed in mystery and speculation, but a full-fledged player on the galactic stage; its goal to recreate the glory and might of its spiritual predecessor, the Galactic Empire. Because of this, it would make sense for Episode 8 to dedicate a good amount of screentime to developing the First Order and its capabilities.

Due to the critical and commercial success of Rogue One, Episode 8 may take a similar path that’s darker and more mature. Rogue One focused on the everyday actions of Rebel and Imperial soldiers in the Galactic Civil War between the Empire and the Rebellion. So, it could be that The Last Jedi will place an emphasis on the struggles of the common warfighters, while also developing Rey and Luke’s relationship. If The Last Jedi replicates the atmosphere and feel of Rogue One, it’ll be a big shift for the Star Wars franchise and one that could garner mixed results. Some fans will, no doubt, praise the darker and grittier story, while others might be turned off by this new course of direction, likening to the days of the original trilogy.

Now, why should loyal Star Wars fans be excited about The Last Jedi? It really depends on how well fans received the two most recent Star Wars flicks — The Force Awakens and Rogue One. If fans liked the action and maturity of Rogue One, and if my theory about The Last Jedi taking a darker approach is correct, then fans should certainly look forward to watching Episode 8, coming to a theater near you on December 15, 2017.

1 Comment

One Response to “Predictions for The Last Jedi”

1. adviser on March 21st, 2017 5:17 pm

I can’t believe you left Kylo Ren out of your predictions.

[Reply]

The Eagle Flyer intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Eagle Flyer does not allow anonymous comments, and The Eagle Flyer requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Showcase

And they’re off! Seniors commit to their colleges

• Predictions for The Last Jedi

News

Seniors Embrace a Haily Night

• News

“Taste of Tri-City” Open House displays the best the school has to offer

• Predictions for The Last Jedi

Opinions

Students recognize impactful teachers

• Predictions for The Last Jedi

News

Major funds raised: Auction was a success

• Predictions for The Last Jedi

News

A community serving in Mexico

• Showcase

• Predictions for The Last Jedi

Tailfeathers

May the 4th be with you

• Predictions for The Last Jedi

News

Seniors Embrace a Haily Night

• Predictions for The Last Jedi

Opinions

Is it worth it to you?

Predictions for The Last Jedi