The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

A new perspective on the handbook

Malala Sapini, News Editor

It’s mid-semester and students are curious about the code of conduct overseeing the student body. I will only be take out discussing the introduction of section III. Also, this is just a quick review of the policies covered in section III. Some things mentioned here deserve further analysis and writing than what is given here.

The school guidelines drafted by admin could be summed up in a single statement in the beginning of the handbook explaining it’s purpose: “Our policies are intended to create and maintain a school community that honors Christ in everything we do at TCCS.” The statement itself is a reflection of the school’s attempt to reflect Christ in everything that is done by students, teachers, faculty, and admin.

However, that is the only thing it will ever be: an attempt. To perfectly follow and honor Christ in everything that is done can only be done by Christ himself.

“For all have sinned and fall short in the glory of God”

-Romans 3:23

It is understandable to expect students to live a lifestyle that reflects Christ. However, they cannot expect students to be perfect. I also understand that for a school of such reputation it is imperative to have high standards and admin can only tolerate so much until expulsion. There are also other key statements in the introduction section of General Policies that explain the guidelines:

• Attending TCCS is a privilege for me. Living a lifestyle that reflects a sincere love for Jesus Christ stands out in today’s world; therefore, the things I say and the things I do prove to others that I am a Christian;
  • Tri-City Christian School has standards of conduct and dress that are part of the lifestyle for me as a student. Most of these standards come from Biblical standards of behavior and some standards are simply for my protection and for the orderly operation of our school;
  • I must take responsibility for keeping TCCS free of litter and vandalism.  I will be held responsible for any school property I damage or willingly permit others to damage;
  • I have signed an agreement to abide by the rules of our school. This agreement is a commitment to TCCS that I will govern myself in a responsible and Christian manner. My commitment to abide by the school rules should be a willing one;
  • I may not enter the offices, faculty lounge, or faculty restrooms without permission;
  • I may not leave class or campus without permission.  TCCS is a closed campus.  If I leave campus with a parent, staff, or faculty member, I must notify the front office.

Though students may have not been involved in the decision to to attend this school, by attending this school on this campus, all students are expected to know and follow those points. Students do not have to agree with it, they just have to follow it. Authority is authority and our admin have no ill intentions, no matter how much it may seem. Students need to look past the rules and into the overlying intentions. Breaking a rule may seem insignificant to the overlying rule system; however, it is something that can lead to a disaster without the necessary discipline.