The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Leaders made through service

Heidi Swigart, Staff Reporter

The school’s local National Honors Society (NHS) served their community by cleaning up Oceanside beach Saturday, March 5. With over 150 NHS volunteers, the stretch from the pier to the harbor was left spotless.

“It’s great to see so many people out today to clean up the beach who really want to make a difference in the community,” NHS President Noah Curry (‘17) said. “This is a small service that can make a big change for many people”.

Currently, there are 5.25 trillion pieces of trash on beaches around the world (Laura Parker, National Geographic 2015). One small act of selflessness can result as a change of the whole community.

“I joined NHS because it looks good on college applications, and I wanted to impact the school and community,” Peter Ferguson (‘17) said. “Being in NHS the past few years has really helped me be a leader on campus and grow into the person I am today.”

NHS consists of students who exhibit leadership on and off campus in addition to good grades. The responsibility of a member is to set an example to other students by participating in community service and leadership roles, whether in clubs, sports teams, or classes.

“We found some weird things on the beach like tires and car parts; Peter even got two dead birds,” Taylor Beasley (‘18) said. “It was a fun experience where the NHS members grew closer to one another and were able to impact the Oceanside community while saving wildlife.”

The beach is a hotspot for litter from the countless number of beach-goers, and this trash could potentially harm animals. Those who participated will hopefully think more about the marks they make on the beach and clean up after themselves.