The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Students collide on the rink for fun and festivities

ASB president, Peter Ferguson ('17) glides down the ice with his two dates, Sierra Piester ('17) and Kelly Katona ('17). Students participated in skating, games, food, and friends on January 31 for a night full of fun.

Gabby Salibo, Editor in Chief

Whether it was slipping on the ice, spending time with friends under the lights, or a good game of broomball, the annual Skaties event made a frosted debut on Saturday, January 27. Students, faculty, and guests piled onto the Ice Town skate rink for fun and festivities. With a long week full of dress up days and the outstanding win against Pacific Ridge High School by the varsity basketball teams, Skaties outdid them all as a great ending to the exciting week.

The week of Skaties was full of excitement and spirit demonstrated by all students. Some students found the most excitement of Skaties in the week that led up to it, whether it was the dress up days, the ‘piefull’ pep rallies, or intensified basketball games.

“My favorite part of the week was the basketball game,” Lauren Matas (‘19) said. “I love cheering at basketball games, and it got me really excited for Skaties. Skaties was super fun and entertaining to teach my date how to skate.”

As students began to arrive at the ice rink and skates were rented, everyone anxiously anticipated being able to step onto the ice. Some of the best memories that were made turned out to be the funny and accidental ones.

“My favorite memory was when me and a bunch of other guys were skating super fast and just hitting walls,” Zane Moore (‘18) said. “The funniest thing was when Eric fell really hard on the ice. We all laughed about it in the end.”

Branching out from the traditional scheme of Skaties, ASB worked hard to make the night more exhilarating than the years before. They tried to add new aspects and incorporate ideas that they thought everyone could enjoy. Even the rink pitched into the effort and added music and disco lights for everyone to enjoy.

“We surveyed the grades to find out what things they liked in years past, and what things they didn’t like,” ASB chaplain Jacob Cross (‘17) said. “This made us want to bring back broomball for juniors and seniors, as well having parents serving drinks and snacks for when students got cold.”

The night ended with a thrilling game of broomball for the junior and senior class. Students were handed sticks and balls for the match. Although there were no winners, everyone reveled in the time they spent with their fellow peers.

“Broomball was the perfect way to end my last Skaties,” Kelly Katona (‘17) said. “It was so fun to watch people get super intense and then slip and take some funny falls.”

The night ended cold and successful. Students and teachers involved themselves in a high-spirited event full of laughter and good times. After a full week of spirit, games, and more, Skaties ended it with a bang, and people took away memories of great friends and epic falls.