The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Donald Trump, number 45: Welcoming in the new POTUS

By The National Guard [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Livie Trillizio, Staff Reporter

After eleven weeks of waiting, Donald J. Trump is no longer under the mantle of “President-elect,” as he has been inaugurated as the forty-fifth President of the United States. Whether or not voters responded to this election season with hopeful relief or intense distaste, he officially took the oath of office and will be leading America for the next four years.

On Friday, January 20, President Trump began his day with a church service at St. John’s Episcopal Church. He then made his way to the White House with wife, Melania Trump, to meet with the Obamas. As the crowd eagerly awaiting his arrival, Mr. Trump and his family entered Capitol Hill.  

“I like the emphasis he has placed on us, as Americans, having a voice once again in government,” Jordan Olivera (‘17) said. “I look forward for him to carry out this idea of America first.”

After going through the inaugural rituals, Mr. Trump placed his left hand on two Bibles, one belonging to his mother and the other used by former president Abraham Lincoln, and was sworn in in as POTUS to preserve, protect, and defend. Then, the new President delivered his sixteen-minute inaugural address.

“The American carnage stops right here and stops right now,” President Trump said. “From this day forward, it’s going to be only America first, America first. I will fight for you with every breath in my body and I will never ever let you down.”

Through his short and straightforward speech, President Trump assured the American people that their voices will be heard and their needs will be met. He had a consistent tone and theme of bringing back the time and attention to our country, in hopes of progress and restoration, however, not everyone took his words to heart.

“I don’t take what he said in his speech seriously,” Hali Galloway (‘17) said. “I don’t trust a president that has been openly supported by Vladmir Putin.”

After the Obamas left the ceremony, President Trump and his family, accompanied by Vice President Mike Pence and his family, walked through the inaugural parade and enjoyed the many performances, speeches, and prayers. Following this eventful afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Trump attended the inaugural ball and participated in the first dance as POTUS and FLOTUS.
Whether a protestor, supporter, or somewhere in between, Donald J. Trump will be the President for the next four years and it is the country’s responsibility to respect the office of the President, even if people are not in agreement with the man who holds the position. It is America’s job to hold him accountable and hope for a future for the people and by the people.