The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Finding freedom in education: Classes the school should have

Lynn Thornton, Opinions Editor

Although Tri-City offers a variety of different classes and class levels for their students, the addition of several new classes would give the student body more opportunities to extend their education and life skills. These classes would range from AP courses to electives the students could take for fun or to earn college credit. Here are some suggestions:

AP Art History- This new class would give students a taste of both art and history, while enjoying both subjects at an advanced college level. Most AP classes at this school focus on one specific subject and this course would combine two subjects in one, while providing students with college credit.

AP Forensics- Mr. Colpean, forensics teacher, has been teaching on the campus for 10 years now and is widely-known among the students. Kevin Colpean makes science fun and enjoyable for his students. Forensics, an already favorite course, especially for the seniors, would be an amazing addition at an AP level and, if available, many juniors and seniors would be eager to take the class.

Yoga P.E.- Instead of PE, students can take a yoga class instead to help calm their nerves and relieve any stress they are having in school. High school can be a very demanding and stressful time, especially if one is taking AP classes. So, having a dedicated time to relax and meditate will provide students a calming setting to let go of any worries. Even though PE is a fun class, it can be physically exhausting at times. Yoga would be a great alternative to traditional PE.

Fashion Design- Even though the school has Fashion Club, it would be great to add a dedicated class geared for those “fashion-gurus.” This course would provide students with all the resources they need to sketch, produce, and market their own designs. In addition, this class could also have a business workshop would allow students to learn the business side of fashion. This elective would provide helpful insight to prospective students interested in the fashion industry and give them a taste of the fashion world.

Creative Writing: Cinema and Media Arts- Due to graduation requirements, students have to enroll in four years of English classes and develop strong writing skills. However, these classes mainly focus on analysis writing and rhetorical essays. Having a creative writing elective would give students the opportunity to express their own ideas and write stories they are passionate about. This writing course would specialize in the Media Arts, and students would write reviews or opinions on movies/novels that are popular in today’s generation, like the Hunger Games or Paper Towns. Other topics to be covered could include racial controversies depicted in certain movies, such as the Jackie Robinson movie 42, or one of the most popular films The Help. Offering this class would give students freedom in their writing and the ability to discuss real world topics that are overlooked and are popular in modern day.

When it comes to class diversity and a range of academic courses, the school meets those expectations. However, the addition of several new classes and electives that appeal to students’ interests, would allow students to be exposed to all different areas in life and the chance to further their education. These new courses should be taken to heart and, if accepted, students would be able to learn a subject they’re passionate about. This is a win-win situation for both students and teachers alike.