The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Bible classes beat the best: Bible classes vs Chapel

Will Furnberg, Editor in Chief, News Editor

Throughout a Christian’s walk, there are various sources that will encourage and stretch them as they learn more about their faith. At the school, there are two options that students have to increase their knowledge in this area: their Bible classes or the weekly chapels provided by the school. Although chapels are nice, with guest speakers and bands, more can be learned in a single block period Bible class than multiple chapels combined.

One of the initial ways Bible classes are superior to chapels lies in the fact that Bible classes are just there to teach from the Word of God. There is no music or singing to take away from the actual Bible message. With only thirty minutes to spend on chapels, a fifteen minute worship session just eats away the time that students could be learning from the speaker. Plus, most people don’t even sing the songs! Students just stand, staring at the words on the screen and don’t actually participate and, by the time the message comes around, they’re just thinking about getting through their last period before lunch. How are they learning then? The simple truth is, they aren’t. In a Bible class, there is only one thing to focus on: the teacher or the notes they have handed out. With less to distract them, students can easily absorb and remember information provided by the teacher on the Bible.

Despite this, chapels also offer inspiring, life changing, and valuable information to students. The Bible calls Christians to worship God, and chapels give students the opportunity to do so through music. Even though some may not take it seriously, this music reaches out to others, and this is the area in which they feel closest to their Father. Also, the messages provided in chapels are often more relevant and entertaining. Guest speakers can talk to students at their level, while Bible classes can be dull at times. Some students even use the time in class to take naps! At least in chapel they are listening to the sermon, not dozing off in the back of the classroom.

Although chapels have all this to offer, Bible class are just too hard to stop. Throughout a student’s four years at the school, they will learn about apologetics, church history, and the life of Christ in their Bible classes. The information provided by Mr. Pichette and Commander Thompson is truly priceless, as the majority of Christians never learn anything about these topics taught in class. This all culminates with senior year Philosophy. In this class, the senior students are challenged to their very cores. They are introduced to various arguments for and against God, philosophers from Ancient, Medieval, and Modern times, and are given an assignment to go out into the world and interview random strangers on what they believe about life. Furthermore, the students have to argue against these strangers’ views, even if the students agree with them! Talk about learning by doing! All of this information that students learn over the course of their high school careers in Bible cannot be matched by chapels over the same four years. Bible classes are simply more informative, more educational, and provide students with knowledge that will help them in the secular world today.

Even if Bible classes are a better source of knowledge, students should really take advantage of the information provided in BOTH Bible classes and chapels. If everyone would pay attention to their class discussions and the sermons in chapel, the school would have an army of strong, well-rounded Christians ready to do the work of the Lord wherever He calls them.