The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Super Bowl 50 commercials: The good, the bad, and the funny

Will Furnberg, Editor in Chief, News Editor

With the advent of another Super Bowl, companies lined up to prepare their best commercials to feature during the national airing of Super Bowl 50. While many commercials showed their potential, five truly stood out from the rest for the humor and creativity.

1. Doritos Ultrasound

Doritos-commercial-ultrasound

This commercial showed how Doritos can truly captivate any person…even one developing in the womb. As a husband and wife see an ultrasound of their child, the husband is distracted by his bag of Doritos. Somehow, the infant inside the wife senses the Doritos, and the ultrasound reveals its desire to reach out and take one as the husband waves the Dorito tauntingly in front of the stomach of his wife. When he throws the chip across the room, the infant responds, and the couple receives their child just a little bit earlier than expected.

4. Super Bowl Babies

super-bowl-babies-2008-credit-nfl-grey-group

Strung out through multiple commercials each one introducing children from different Super Bowl years, the final part of the episode displayed children young and old gathered together singing a play on Seal’s “Kiss from a Rose.”

1. Avocados from Mexico

Avocados From Mexico- Bounty of Earth

A group of aliens tours various examples of Earth culture, including the “torture device” of air travel, the black and blue dress that caused “a civil war,” and Scott Baio. However, the aliens claim the the avocados are the most amazing and interesting thing from earth.

1. Hulk’s Coca-Cola  Mini

Marvel-Studios-big-presence-in-Super-Bowl-50

Stepping into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, a mischievous Ant-Man attempts to swipe Bruce Banner’s Coke Mini from the fridge. Banner sees him however, and the newest Avenger attempts to evade an angry Hulk. Eventually, the green giant corners the insect hero, and the two make up as Ant-Man helps Hulk open the Mini can (and swipes some in the process).

1. Prius Chase

prius8f-2-web

After their car is towed, a group of four bank robbers steals a red Prius (but leave a money bag to pay for it) and proceeds to outrun the cops’ best attempts to catch them. The process of their evasion of justice makes them national heroes, and the police are desperate to respond to the fuel efficiency of the Prius. In the end, the cops realize in order to “beat a Prius, you have to BE a Prius,” and they quickly add their own to chase down the thieves. The fans are left hanging as the red Prius and the police Prius race off into the unknown, with no apparent conclusion to the three part commercial trilogy.