The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Are New Year’s resolutions truly beneficial?

Malala Sapini, Staff Reporter

This New Year’s, people all over the world have made resolutions to change their habits or behaviors to in 2016. These resolutions range from huge shifts such as traveling to a foreign country and adopting a culture to starting a business or even simply breaking a bad habit or starting a good one.

Resolutions can help improve people to be a better person, as they support positive change. Just thinking of making them is beneficial: it forces people to reflect and find what areas in their life is lacking. People not only consider the past, but also think about their future. This allows them to get a better sense of what direction they want to move forward. When they find an area in their life that needs to be improved, they become empowered to make a change. As people reflect, looking back on their recent accomplishments, they acknowledge them. Their noisy life often babbles out their time to consider the small accomplishments, which they should congratulate themselves and keep moving forward.

New Year’s resolutions can also have a negative effect. Realistically, the statistics of someone being able to stick with their resolution throughout the year is only a meager 8%. Though it’s great feeling as if you can accomplish anything, the fire that you feel when New Year’s comes around usually dies out around the third week of January. The way people head into resolutions is unrealistic, as if they could break a bad habit that they’ve developed over multiple years in a single night. Without a game plan to see these resolutions through, and a clear vision of the steps they need to take, accomplishing daunting resolutions are nearly impossible. When they do not achieve their goals, people often subconsciously punish themselves for their shortcomings. People feel guilty or even ashamed. This self-criticism can damage both mental health and self-esteem.

But there’s hope. Resolutions can go both ways. The direction it goes is a choice. At the end of the day, it’s really up to the person whether they want to stick with their resolution or forget it. Change is a natural thing that goes on in life, but resolutions can help move towards a positive situation sooner rather than later.