The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

The great Getty: Seniors travel to LA for class field trip

Senior Micah Emerine looks at and takes notes of one of the landscape paintings. The senior class visited the Getty Museum Tuesday, April 8.

Jessie Brooks, Editor-in-Chief/Opinions Editor

For the senior class, their one field trip of the year is visiting the Getty museum. The class along with three teachers toured the art museum Tuesday, April 8.

Seniors left early in the morning in order to have a longer amount of time to walk through the Getty. However, with unexpected traffic, the time was cut short, so the groups saw a lot but not all of the exhibits. English teacher Jody Palmer headed up the field trip and split students into three different groups: she led one, Civics/Economics teacher Bill Palmer led another, and Bible teacher Ken Pichette led the last.

Jody Palmer said, “It’s important for students to be exposed to all areas of the arts. [The Getty] is a very good art collection; it rivals Europe.”

The Getty is one of the finest art museums in the world with pieces from Vincent van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, and Rembrandt. Students observed art from the Renaissance era to the Baroque of Neoclassical era to the Romantic era up to the Modern era of impressionism.

Senior Alex Castanares said, “[My favorite were] the flower vases in the Baroque era because I found lots of symbolism and found it ironic that something so simple could represent something so complex.”

Towards the beginning of Jody Palmer’s tour, she pointed out to the students to “take note of Christ; he’s always so thin and gaunt.”

As she took her group through the art according to dates, the paintings grew to be more life like and less one dimensional and flat like earlier paintings. Early painters focused on Biblical characters, but as time progressed, they changed to landscapes and portraits of everyday people.

All of the senior English classes read Greek mythology. Numerous paintings at the Getty alluded to mythology and seniors were able to understand the significance of the characters after their Greek unit.

Senior Heather Holmes said, “I really enjoyed seeing the members of the Greek mythology at the Getty because each artist has their own unique take on the mood of different stories. For instance, the rape of Europa is fairly consistent in writing, but the artists took their liberty to present different variations of the event. In one artist’s depiction, Europa is sitting down on the form of the bull surrounded by other maidens, who are contentedly weaving flowers in the bull’s hair. Other paintings show the fear and horror or agony in the maiden’s face as she is whisked away by the concealed god.”

Though the sun was blazing outside and the usually lush, vibrant gardens were under construction, the students learned a lot from their time visiting such a prestigious art gallery.

Civics and Economics teacher Bill Palmer uses his vast knowledge of art, one area he’s passionate about, to describe more information about the paintings to seniors Amy Hayashi and Moriah McKim.

English teacher Jody Palmer describes the difference between the earlier paintings of Jesus to the later ones; the later are more life-like and colorful.The senior class visited the Getty Museum Tuesday, April 8.

Senior Brijete Baljian takes careful notes of the artist’s name and the title of the piece.The senior class visited the Getty Museum Tuesday, April 8.

While listening to Mrs. Palmer tie in Greek mythology to the paintings, seniors Heather Holmes and Kelly Boyd admire the artwork.The senior class visited the Getty Museum Tuesday, April 8.