The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Prom: The stress for the dress

Gabby Salibo, Editor in Chief

It’s that time of year again. Prom… The unforgettable dance with hopes of an amazing date and a perfect night. The actual event is always memorable spending time with friends, eating food, and dancing the night away. What people often overlook are the strenuous weeks of preparation and unnecessary stress. Guys cringing with the anticipation of who to ask, how to ask, ticket costs, tux rentals, and what kind of corsage to buy. Girls, on the other hand, are in full-fledged of OCD and adrenaline mode , unwilling to let anyone stand in the way of perfection.

The ideal dress is where it all starts. The range of simple and nice to flashy with rhinestones flood the minds of teenage girls across the country. The online pinterest search commences and you try to imagine your average body type fitting into the dress worn by the perfect model. You scroll through continuous pictures of practically every color in the visible spectrum, and spend more time trying to figure out what the heck Smaragdine means only to find out it’s the fancy way of saying green. After four hours of worthless research, you realize you are still no closer to finding what you want.

Let the hunt begin. You take a few trips to stores to try and salvage something from the overwhelming mess of dresses. Don’t even get me started on the line of girls coming out of the fitting room. By the time you even get a dressing room, the real exhaustion has hit. You try on endless amounts of fabric and then it finally hits you…the dress. This is it. This is what you’ve been waiting for weeks, or is it? You start to second guess yourself and all the chaos begins. Frantically, you rush to grab your phone and send out several photos to family, friends, and possibly even strangers in order to tally up the opinions. Finally, looking up, you realize, after coming back to reality, that stalling in the dressing room is no longer an option with impatient store attendants and other shoppers right outside. You reluctantly leave empty-handed and emotionally drained.

Back at home online…you attempt to make one last ditch effort to just order a dress online. What if it comes and doesn’t fit? What if it doesn’t look the same as it did online? What if the material is cheap? What if you get scammed? What if it doesn’t come at all? Nope, not even worth the trouble.

After another week of pure avoidance, you realize almost every girl in your class has a dress except you. Well, looks like another trip to another mall is needed. You walk around the mall like a zombie, flipping through the racks in desperation and pulling out almost every dress. The sales attendant hesitantly takes the dresses from your hands, intimidated by the crazed look in your eye. You go through about five or six dresses before you freeze. It’s perfect. You instantly get a new, revised energy, and prom seems a little less stressful. You don’t even bother to ask anyone else’s opinion because you really don’t care what they think. You float over to the register with a smile on your face. You pay for the dress with the money that you really don’t have and really shouldn’t be spending, but all you can think about is that you finally found a perfect dress. Finally you go home satisfied with your accomplishment, and think to yourself that prom dress shopping is just too easy.