The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

May the 4th be with you

Seth Sinclair, Staff Reporter

May the 4th is Star Wars Day. The epic space opera franchise created by George Lucas is beloved by countless fans who set aside the fourth day of May to celebrate the universe of Jedi, rebels, stormtroopers, and lightsabers. This is a thrilling time to be a Star Wars fan. In the way of films, Disney has announced the release of Episode 8: The Last Jedi and a Han Solo movie is in the works. On the side of gaming, Electronic Arts (EA) debuted the full cinematic trailer of Battlefront 2. Let’s see what else is going on in Star Wars news:

The Last Jedi follows the adventures of the new trilogy characters in their efforts to resist the First Order. Mark Hamill will of course be reprising the role of Grandmaster Luke Skywalker. Daisey Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, and Oscar Isaac will return as Rey, Finn, Kylo Ren, and Poe Damaron, respectively. Episode 8 is set to be released to cinemas on December 15, 2017.

Let’s be honest Star Wars gamers; Star Wars Battlefront was a little disappointing. It completely lacked a thorough single player campaign, a staple for Star Wars video games. Sure, the multiplayer was action-packed and fun, and DICE (the team who made the game) did an excellent job of incorporating elements from Rogue One into multiplayer. As for myself, I loved running through the corridors and blast doors of the iconic Death Star and fighting tight, intense blaster battles in Jabba the Hutt’s Palace on Tatooine. Battlefront 2 looks to remedy complaints from gamers by adding a dedicated story this time. Battlefront 2 will also feature cross-era gameplay, meaning players get to blast each other as clone troopers and droids, and First Order stormtroopers and Resistance soldiers — not just as rebel soldiers and Imperial stormtroopers. There will be four distinct classes in multiplayer: Officer, Heavy, Specialist, and Assault. Battlefront 2 will also add new worlds and heroes and villains from the new trilogy. I know countless other Star Wars fans like myself can’t wait to get our hands on a copy of this game.

Also is an official Han Solo movie in the works. Due to the success of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Disney is producing a standoff film dedicated to the smuggler Han Solo. The release date is set for May 25, 2018, so we have a while to wait. American actor Alden Ehrenreich is taking up the role of a young Han Solo. The plot, as it is known so far, will follow the adventures of Han Solo and his furry companion Chewbacca (I’m hopefully assuming Chewbacca will make a cinematic return in this movie). Set photos reveal a salt flat planet where the story may take place. This planet is rumoured to be Solo’s home planet of Corellia. This film, which may sound odd to Star Wars moviegoers, is a space Western, so it’s interesting to see where the screenwriters and director take the concept of a Star Wars Western. I’m looking forward to seeing a new actor play Han Solo (though I will forever consider Harrison Ford’s Han Solo to be the best). I sincerely hope that Alden Ehrenreich will give his own personal twist to the character and not try too hard to be exactly like Harrison Ford’s Han Solo because it would be impossible, and it would come off awkward. If Disney can pull off a Han Solo stand-alone film, then I can’t wait to see which other classic characters they can make a movie on — here’s fingers crossed for either (preferably both) an Obi-Wan film and/or a Boba Fett film; or Darth Vader; that would be pretty awesome.

So this was a sample of some of the new and confirmed Star Wars stuff coming out either this year or sometime in the near future. This is certainly a great year for everything Star Wars. May the Fourth be with you.