The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Forensics and firearms: seniors take shooting trip

Heidi Swigart, Staff Reporter

The highlight of Kevin Colpean’s forensic science class was the shooting trip at the end of the year. A team of fifteen students and four teachers loaded up and headed to Big Bear to go shooting for the weekend.

“I was so excited to go on an overnight trip in the mountains to go shooting,” April Mason (‘17) said. “I go shooting with my dad pretty often, but I’m happy I got to sharpen my skills with Mr. Colpean and Mr. Pichette.”

Between Colpean and Pichette, there was an array of guns to shoot  including a .22 Derringer revolver, a .380 semi-automatic, 9mm semi auto pistol, .40 semi auto pistol, .45 semi auto pistol, .38 and .357 revolver, 12 gauge shotgun, 20 gauge shotgun, a 308 sniper rifle, and .22 sniper rifle. Hali Galloway (‘17) and Connor Adamson (‘17) won the shoot-offs and took home Starbucks gift cards.

“My favorite part of the trip was shooting awesome guns and getting to do it with friends and great teachers,” Noah Curry (‘17) said. “It was like a mini senior trip, and I’m so happy that I got to spend time with my senior classmates before we all go off.”

Senior year is full of highs and lows, with constant pressure about the unknown future. It was nice to take off time to relax and have a good time; shooting guns relieved stress and was a privilege for students to partake in.

“I would like to thank Mr. Colpean for all his hard work and planning because the trip couldn’t have happened without him,” Jacob Cross (‘17) said. “He made the trip exciting and fun; I want him to know how grateful all his students are for him.”

For his sixth and final trip before retiring, Colpean wanted to make it the most memorable, and he certainly succeeded. The weekend was filled with unforgettable experiences and strong bonds as the seniors conclude their final year.

“Mr. Pichette and I both agreed it was the best trip ever,” Colpean said. “Going to Big Bear, spending the night, and shooting all day with this group of students was a blast.”
After a weekend of late nights, shooting, and burgers, every participant agreed that it was one of the best trips. Growth in friendships and impactful memories were two of the best aspects of the forensics trip.