The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Leaving it all on the field: Velte’s last season

Gabby Salibo, Co-Editor in Chief

Commonly known to his teammates as a great athlete, a hard worker, and a team leader, Michael Velte (‘17) exceeds in the sport of baseball. Starting baseball at a young age, the sport has been a part of Velte’s life for as long as he can recall. He has been on the varsity team all four years and is committed to his positions as center field, right field, and first base.

As a part time worker and full time student, juggling sports on top of everything else can be a challenge for any athlete. Velte puts a lot of time and energy into each of his activities and strives to set an example for the underclassmen.

“I’m not a captain, but as a senior I wanna be an example to everyone under me,” Velte said. “The freshmen look up to me and the other upperclassmen, so I always want to set an example for them.”

Throughout the years of his baseball career, Velte has improved in the sport of baseball as an athlete and a person. He recognizes the people that have influenced him positively  over the years.

“My dad has really impacted my baseball career over the years,” Velte said. “When I was younger, in little league, he would coach me. He loves baseball and knows a lot about the sport; he was really good at directing me when I was younger and teaching me a lot about the mechanics of baseball.”

Velte has been attending this school for 13 years and has created long lasting friendships and great memories throughout the years. Finishing off his baseball career in his senior year of high school, Velte looks forward to what his last season will hold for him and his teammates.

“I’m really looking forward to playing one more year with everybody and doing well in the season and making the most of my last year,” Velte said. “I also want to win some games, like really badly.”

With a pending future in college drawing closer by the day, Velte plans to attend Cal State Fullerton. Before ending out his season, he continues to encourage players to enjoy the moments, always try their best, and keep going even when things get tough whether out on the field or in life.