The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Take10: Finishing the race

Photo by Mika Letuagasenoa

Photo by Mika Letuagasenoa

Hannah Cote, Staff Reporter

As third quarter comes to a close, students are probably tempted to toss those textbooks in the corner and watch Netflix to their hearts’ content. As it turns out, God doesn’t want that. Scripture makes it clear that we need to persevere until the end for we will reap great rewards if we do.

It may seem a little dramatic to emphasize the importance of finishing the school year strong. What’s the big deal? The thing is though, we’re supposed to glorify God in everything. Colossians 3:23-24 says, “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.” Giving up shows, quite frankly, that we don’t care enough to make God look good.

Paul encourages us to persevere in everything, not just in school. Paul compares life to a race in 1 Corinthians 9. He writes, “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified” (I Corinthians 9:24-27).  

That’s a lot to take in, so let’s break it down a little bit and analyze what Paul is saying here. We run to obtain the prize not necessarily to win. It’s more about how we run the race than about winning it. We should always run with the purpose to grow closer to and glorify God. If we were runners in a race, we’d focus on ourselves and not on each other, right? That’s the coach’s job. Similarly, as we run the race to God, it isn’t our place to point out the sins and faults of others. We should stay focused on ourselves and let God, the coach, correct us as we go along. Paul even goes on to say that if we focus on others and not on ourselves, we’ll find ourselves disqualified from the race.

Ecclesiastes 7:8 (ESV) says, “Better is the end of a thing than its beginning, and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.” What does that mean? The end is better because the beginning is usually the most difficult and troublesome part, but in the progress and conclusion, things become easier and more comfortable. It is near the end of good times where perseverance begins to wane, and it is not sufficient to start well unless we persevere to the end. The patient in spirit, the ones who are willing to bear hardships and inconveniences, are better than the proud in spirit, those who are hasty or impatient. It is during the end, that our perseverance and dedication are tested the most because it would be so easy to give up, but as long as we trust God, He will give us the endurance to finish the race strong.