The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Behind the scenes: ASB

Hannah Cote, Staff Reporter

Everyone knows that ASB works hard to make sure our school is spirited, fun, and up-to-date, but how do they do it?  How much effort really goes into each event?  Take a behind-the-scenes look at everything these students do.

Being a part of ASB is a large responsibility not to be taken lightly.  It requires planning, work in and out of school, and plenty of time.

“I mostly film the sports announcement, run the pep rallies, and bring spirit to the school,” spirit commissioner Jordan Heatherly (‘18) said.  “I can do all that here, but sometimes we have to work outside of school, like for Skaties or Homecoming.”

Members of ASB spend countless hours in and out of school to get everything done.  Sometimes, this involves giving up something else that they may want to do.

“Sometimes ASB interferes when there’s a pep rally because, as a varsity cheerleader, I have to do the cheer part instead of the ASB part,” freshman representative Katie Schuiteman (‘20) said.  “It’s kind of a bummer because obviously I want to do both.”

Often, the students are not the ones to stay behind after school for ASB. It is their adviser who does most of the work outside of school.

“Of course, we always put lots of time and effort into each event, but we may spend more or less time and effort depending on the event,” ASB adviser Tonya Rauch said. “With Homecoming and Prom, hundreds of hours go in, but Skaties is fairly easy, and we don’t spend too many hours on it.  I spend a lot of time outside of school for ASB, mostly for shopping and contacting vendors.”

Being in ASB is a large dedication of time, but ASB members are fully committed.  They set aside things they may want to do for the bettering of the school.

“ASB never interferes with other things because I made a commitment when I signed up for it,” Heatherly continued. “I’m willing to make time for it and do what I have to do.”

At the of the day, ASB also betters its members.  They learn how to manage time, plan events, and meet deadlines. They also grow together as a large, fun family.

“We put a lot of time and effort into each event, but it’s fun getting to put it together,” Schuiteman continued. “I enjoy being in ASB. It’s a lot of fun. I was hesitant at first, but everyone gets along really well, and it’s a fun environment.”

“I totally enjoy being part of ASB because I feel like we’re a big family,” Heatherly (‘18) said.  “Our personalities mesh well together, and we all like making the school a better place.”

Of course, ASB is nothing without its adviser. She works to make sure these students work together in harmony and gets things done. This naturally adds a lot more pressure, but their adviser handles it well.

“Homecoming is a rough month,” Rauch said. “It can get stressful. I feel like I can breathe a little easier once it’s over, and after that it’s good. I love being ASB adviser though. I like getting to hang out with the kids. It’s a lot of fun. Stressful, but fun.”

ASB does a lot for the school. Students should all be a little more grateful to the ASB members, and adviser, who work so hard to make the school a better place.