The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

A community serving in Mexico

Livie Trillizio, Staff Reporter

Over the first weekend of March, families, students, and teachers joined together for a mission trip to Tijuana, Mexico. Although it was just for a day, participants experienced a culture shift, volunteered on a service project, and shared moments with the children in the orphanage, Colina de Luz.

The team met at the school and prayed over their trip before heading across the border by bus. Due to transportation difficulties, they were stopped at the border for three hours until border patrol eventually sent them through.

“The bus ride was really long but it was a good way to get to know everyone,” Noah McKemy (‘17) said. “They confiscated our bus driver’s passport and ended up losing it, so we started to get a little restless.”

Everyone arrived at Colina de Luz, located outside of Tijuana. There, they ate lunch and toured the area as they became acquainted with the children living there.

“I loved getting to know all of the kids,” Ashley Tadano (‘18) said. “They were really happy to see us. We ended up playing a soccer game with them, and they definitely won.”

After playing with the kids, the team commenced their service project. They all worked together to construct a field for the children to play in because they love to play sports.

“We were able to create a huge ditch on the field in order for water to flow through it,” Michael Bick (‘17) said. “Previously, water would come in and flood the area so the kids couldn’t go outside.”

After finishing this project, the group gathered in the bus and headed home. While it may have been a short trip, it was an incredible opportunity to be introduced to missions while simultaneously being a part of the process of change. While serving the kids and the community, ultimately the team was serving the kingdom of God as they were providing for their brothers and sisters in Christ.