The student news site of Tri-City Christian School

The Eagle Flyer

Dodging and ducking: A night of hard hits

High school guys rush to the center of the court in attempts to take hold of a ball. Students flooded through the gym on Friday, January 9 for friendly games of dodgeball and good times with friends.

Heidi Swigart, Staff Reporter

The competitive spirits in students burned bright Friday night at ASB’s dodgeball event. Students took full advantage of the 80’s theme, coming dressed in neon, completed with legwarmers, tights, off-the-shoulder tops, scrunchies, and headbands.

“[There’s] something about dodgeball; I don’t know the idea of it…it’s just fascinating,” senior Michael Velte (‘17) said. “Tom Cruise was my inspiration, and I dressed like him in his role in Risky Business (1983).”

Ever since playing dodgeball in elementary school, students have made various advancements in their techniques. It is always an event that students look forward to because of its nostalgic nature and opportunity to let loose after the opening of second semester.

“Going into the game, my strategy was to hide behind all of the people bigger than me,” freshman Jake Alvarez (‘20) said. “The best part of the night was staying in until the very end of one of the rounds, but then I got hit.”

Overall, it was a night full of hits and misses. The freshman, newly exposed to high school events, encountered seniors who are well-acquainted with nights such as these. As students headed into the third quarter slump, they took the opportunity to refresh and recharge with action-packed games spent in great company with endless laughs.